Mental Health for Babies & Toddlers
Children’s early experiences affect the development of their brains and their health. Mental health for babies and toddlers is linked to the quality of children’s early relationships and how their social and emotional development is affected.
Your child needs caring relationships with adults to help him develop trust, understanding, compassion, kindness, and a conscience. When parents are responsive to their child’s needs they create a secure relationship that later relationships will be built upon. There are many things you can do as a parent to help shape your child’s good mental health.
- Hug them, hold them, and respond to their needs.
- Listen carefully when your children communicate with you.
- Engage with your child frequently, even for a few minutes at a time.
- Say yes and I love you often and limit use of words like no and don’t.
- Ensure they experience a safe, structured, and predictable home environment.